As painting season is now officially open, here's my latest paint discovery.
|Russeted armour at Broughton Castle (just ignore the blackened English pot in the foreground)|
|Close up of my first 'new recipe' finished figure|
Well dear readers (hello all nine of you), I think I have hit upon a paint recipe that almost captures the colours of russeted armour.
I have previously shared my first attempt at russeted armour in the equipment painting guide post. But I always thought that I could do better.
Here are the results of my experimentation
For this experiment I have used four advance pike figures from Peter Pig. I would have like four identical figures, but alas the spares box did not yield up such treasure.
|metal base: agrax(l) seraphim (r)|
|Bronze barrel base: agrax(l) seraphim (r)|
I must point out that all the Citadel shades that I use are the older formula shades - they stain the figure as a whole, as well as pooling in nooks and crannies. They are now out of production but can still be found - look for 24ml bottles and a large green splodge on the label. (The new formula shade paints don't stain the figures, pooling in nooks and crannies better - 18ml bottles, small green splodge around the 'C' of Citadel on the label). I much prefer the older formula shades so have managed to create a bit of a stockpile 😁. Top tip - 'old recipe' agrax is almost extinct, Citadel produced a gloss finish agrax which is still readily available (which might explain why gloss agrax has been discontinued).
|Bronze barrel, agrax with nuln oil wash|
They were then given a wash of Citadel nuln oil.
|Bronze barrel base: seraphim (l) agrax(r)|
|metal base: seraphim (l) agrax(r)|
I would normally finish figures off with a spray of Army Painter anti-shine matte varnish, then pick out the armour with Vallejo brush on satin acrylic varnish. But as these are just an experiment, I missed out the anti-shine coat.
I've tried gloss varnish, which was just too shiny; before settling upon satin varnish (Vallejo acrylic satin brush on) giving a much better appearance. Here are the finished colour swatch figures, with a satin varnish topcoat applied.
|Bronze barrel and agrax earthshade|
|Bronze barrel with seraphim sepia|
The bronze barrel base gives the richness that I wanted, with seraphim sepia good for a lighter version, and agrax for a darker version.
|Metal with agrax earthshade|
|Metal with seraphim sepia|
Whereas the metal basecoat figures look much too silvery.