Lord Percy’s Regiment of Foot


Percy's were formed from detachments sent south by Newcastle in early 1643 as an escort to an ammunition convoy. Often stated as being attached to the artillery train they were a standard Regiment of Foot which served in Thomas Blagge's Oxford Brigade, Symonds recorded them as wearing white coats at the Aldbourne Chase muster.


They fought at the Siege of Gloucester, First Newbury, occupied Newport Pagnell (oviously attracted to the good motorway connections), believed to have been at Cheriton, Cropredy Bridge, and Lostwithiel. At Lostwithiel Percy was dismissed form service, Colonel William Murray taking over the command.


Under Murray they fought at Second Newbury, Leicester and Naseby where the Regiment was almost entirely captured.


Percy was dismissed from service as it was alleged that he was complicit with Lord Henry Wilmot's secret attempts to negotiate a peace treaty with the Earl of Essex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Army of Montrose

Coat Colours Part 2: Royalist Regiments of Foot

The Battles of Powick Bridge 1642 and Worcester 1651

Battle of Winwick, 19th August 1648

Coat Colours Part 1: Parliamentarian Regiments of Foot

Houses of Interest: Oxfordshire

Sir William Brereton's Regiment of Horse

Some More Parliamentarian Command

The Battle of Preston 17th-19th August 1648

The Sealed Knot - ECWS: re-enactors