Siege Engineers (again)
Regular readers (hello all seven of you), will hopefully have seen my previous post about siege engineers and will be familiar with the artefacts in museums across the country, and my attempt at creating some figures.
As PP still do not make a pack of siege engineers, and not being 100% happy with my previous attempts, I decided to have another go.
First off an easy conversion, to remind me how to use greenstuff.
- When mixing greenstuff twist rather than knead the two parts together.
- Let it go 'off' slightly before trying to work with it.
- Build stuff up in layers. A little and often is better than a lot all in one go.
- More patience.
- Trim out and discard the little bit in the middle of the strip where the two colours have been in contact with one another.
- If you are remotely happy with what you have done, stop! Don't do anymore. You can add to it once it is dry.
- Keep wetting your tools (but not too much).
Next up a slightly more serious conversion. Pikes vertical, open hand (pack 11) contributed the figures. I've used this figure as a basis for my armoured engineers before, but this time I fancy something a little more adventurous.
As with previous engineers I started with a headswap for a 'lobster pot', greenstuff siege tassets, and then his right arm was carefully amputated.
Cleaned up around the armpit then drilled into the body. I used a piece of 1.5mm rod to create an armature. I roughly measured my own arm - roughly 30cm for my upper arm, and 30cm for my lower arm. Which I reckoned translated to 3mm upper and 3mm lower for the figure.
|Let the fun and games begin. If you are wondering about the presence of BluTack - it makes a really good vice to hold things whilst you drill and cut|
I tried to give a slight bend in the elbow, then glued it in place. Fleshed the armature out with some greenstuff, then let it dry.
|With hindsight, 1mm brass rod would be much more suitable, but 1.5mm steel was what I had|
Once dry I used Milliput to create a hand, and tidied up the arm. Left this to dry, then fitted an axe (from Donnington Miniatures), and used some more putty to create fingers around the head of the axe. Quite pleased with the proportions, but I don't think the commercial figure sculptors have anything to worry about.
|Looks a bit ropey, but remember a) this isn't my day job, b) the figure is true 15mm, and c) paint can hide a lot of mistakes|
Splashed on some paint, and I think it hides my sculpting weaknesses quite well.
Obviously, two more siege engineers for each army, will require a rethink on basing - easily solved by going from a 4×2 movement tray to a 5×2.
Of course, anyone familiar with my army recruiting practices will be aware that what happens for one army, happens for the other. So here's the other set of engineers.